Thursday 19 June 2014

Wanna be a Downhill Demon?!

 When running I tend to be a heel striker.  And I guess when I used to run down the hill you could totally tell.  It's loud when you strike down on your heel first.  Thunk! Thunk!  Thunk!  All the way down the hill!!  A few weeks before I ran Sun Mountain in Winthrop, Wa I participated in a downhill running clinic put on by my running coach.

I was sure glad for the instruction because When I ran in Winthrop, I was amazed at how many people ran down the hill so slowly.  I'm not a speedy runner, but I passed so many people running down the hill, just because I had a good technique.  The downhill instruction gave me confidence, and allowed me to descent at a faster pace.  Here is what I learned:

  • Lean forward from the hips an ankles, remembering to keep your chest open so that you can breath.  It's a bit counterintuitive, at least for me to do this, but it sure helps with speed and stability.  If you trip, it's a lot easier to keep going and correct, then if you lean back.  If you are leaning back you typically fall on you butt.
  • Your foot should strike the ground on the mid foot, underneath your hips.  If your foot hits the ground too far in front then you are stressing your calfs and other muscles.  Also, don't let your foot be in contact with the ground for too long.  Focus on short quick rotation. 
  • Use your core to stabilize yourself,and your arms for balance and regulating your speed.  Lifting your arms out to the side will provide stability and reduce your speed.
  • Make sure you are looking down the hill in front of you and not at your feet.  I find this one difficult.  You need to know what is coming up.  Surprisingly, your feet will know what to do based on what you've already seen and processed a few seconds ago.  Shortly after I took this clinic, I was running down and a trail and suddenly 'remembered' to look up.  Not 30 or 40 seconds later I saw a snake on the trail!  I was able to safely navigate around it.  Had I been looking at the ground I probably would have stepped on it!  So very important to look ahead!!


Running down the hill fast gives me such a rush!  It's so much fun.  However it can really fatigue your muscles so in a race I have to be careful not to push it too much or I might not have anything left in my legs later on.

Here's a photo of what not to do (before downhill instruction) As you can see I'm loaning back into the hill, and sticking with my heel first.  - I don't have a photo of what to do  :(








No comments:

Post a Comment