Friday 16 May 2014

What Have I Done

This weekend in Canada is the Victoria Day long weekend.  I am running my first 50km Ultra at Sun Mountain in Winthrop, Washington.  (Here's the link to the website:  http://sunmountaintrailraces.blogspot.ca ) I don't know what to say .   .  .  To be completely honest I am totally freaked out.  And here's why:

1)  I started running in October of 2013 - I decided I was going to run the Squamish, BC Canada 50km race in August of 2014.

2)  While I've been diligently training - my longest run to date has only been 28km.

3)  Don't worry says everyone - it will be fine - it will be more of a mental race than a physical race!! What the hell does that mean!!  I mean honestly.  Physically I've been doing my best up to this point, but I don't recall taking any mental training .  .  .

4)  I realize that I've been running my running program, but I've paid no attention to what's been, shall we say, "going on".  I don't know what my pace should be for a 50 km run, I don't know what my heart rate should be.  I have a heart monitor, in my drawer, still in the package.  I have been running, but I have not been paying attention. . .

I've received some great advice and inspiration over the last few days from a lot of people.  So that is what I am armed with:  'pain is temporary, accomplishment is forever',  'you ARE going to feel bad, and when that happens, do nothing and keep running',  'you can do it!',  'have fun!, as our mothers used to say, - the most important thing is that you are having fun!', 'eat every half hour or more if you need to', 'whatever you do, don't stop just make sure you are always moving forward'.

My biggest source of inspiration come from my mother, who at this moment is trekking a religious pilgrimage from Sivelle, Spain to Santiago de Campostilla.  She is 75 years old and trekked 35 km the other day.  Surely at 46 I can run for 50km .  .  .

At any rate, this is training for Squamish, my goal run this year.  Finishing it would give me so much confidence.  I'm looking forward to the challenge (she said trying to convincing herself ;) )



No comments:

Post a Comment