Tuesday 20 May 2014

Woot Woot!!

Well I did it!  Despite my feelings of anxiety and unpreparedness I completed my first 50 km race at a respectable 6:15.

I was really afraid of hitting that dreaded and still (for me) mythical 'wall''.   But you know I never got there.  I ate regularly and hydrated often.  Before I knew it, I was at the finish line. . .  :)

OK maybe it wasn't quite that easy.  But the run at Sun Mountain near Winthrop, Washington was beautiful.  It was really important for me to finish thus run.  I'm doing Squamish 50 Km in August as 'the run' for 2014.   I planned to do this run is October 2013 as a fundraiser for a charity, as of yet not yet solidified.   I needed to build confidence by completing this run.  So basically I took it easy.  I ran slower but stready!

Did I have issues?  Yes I did and no I did not!!  I have intense pain in my right si joint/hip socket/ glute area.  It's hard to pinpoint.  You know I had 'issues' about a week before the race and didn't deal with it.  I started to feel it before the 20km mark.  Today, the day after it felt better when I woke up, but this evening it was excruciating.  I had an issue with my water bladder, and after the third aid station at about km 37 it was leaking.  I was drinking yellow gu brew and I'm sure it looked like I peed myself.  It was gross and sticky.  :(.   But overall nothing during the run that I can 'complain' about.)

Honestly I loved every second of it!  I never turned on my head phones once.  Generally I reserve this to 'cancel out' negative thoughts and emotions.

I've built a tremendous amount of confidence.  I've had help from my running coach Rene C. Unser from P.A.C.E. Fitness located here She is an amazing athlete and inspirational coach that carries you through to your goals.  Feeling accomplished!!

H-

No comments:

Post a Comment